Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Phase 1 Complete




Well I would like to introduce Baby Koval to the world. Monday was our second doctor's appointment where we had our first sonogram. Heather is now 12 weeks and has made it through the first trimester. The visit started as usual with Heather needing to produce a sample, and just like last time, Heather had a little stage fright. Thanks to modern technology I was able to capture this special moment.

After a little while, we were taken to the sonogram room. I had always seen sonograms on TV where they lubed up the stomach and moved a device around to find the baby. Apparently times have changed. I won't go into details but if you look closely at this photo you'll see what I'm talking about.


I had also heard from others that it might take a while for the doctor to find the baby or the heartbeat but I was amazed at how quickly he located the baby. I knew before that we were going to have a baby, but I hadn't really felt like it was real. Like any time I would find out it was a false alarm. But once I saw that little miracle on the screen squirming around, everything changed. I had a connection. I knew that this was happening. The baby was very active and kept moving all around. The doctor had to keep adjusting to get the photos that he needed. We were quizzed by the doctor on the Nuchal Translucency and we both failed. They measure a part of the brain as a pre-screening for birth defects. We both knew that they were going to do that, we just didn't remember the term. Plus, in our defense, we don't care because we are going to love the baby regardless. If you look at the sonogram photos above I will describe each one. The top one is where you can see the hand very clearly with the thumb. The doctor told us it was giving us a thumbs up. I thought that was cheesy. Next, is the actual size of the baby. It is just under two inches long. Then the bottom two are a top and side view. I really was impressed with how much you can make out in the pictures. The hands and feet and head. It was even more amazing to see it moving. It was definitely a life changing moment. One trimester down, two to go.


4 comments:

  1. Oh, yes! I forgot about how the first sonogram is done! Surprise! Love the pics - it truly is amazing to see your own baby for the first time! Loved the video, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, a very personal experience. In more ways than one for Heather.

    ReplyDelete
  3. CONGRATULATIONS! Stoked for you guys!

    Yes, ultrasound times have changed. I actually have my first scanning evaluation on the liver tomorrow night and, fortunately, I am being tested on one of the two new machines the school has. The older machines don't produce quite as good of an image.

    Looking forward to congratulating/celebrating with you in person next month! Congrats again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whaaaaaaat?! HOW DID THIS HAPPEN?!! ;)
    Wow, what amazing news. I'm thrilled for you guys! Looking forward to more blog posts about the journey!

    Love ya, Julie Mc

    ReplyDelete