Monday, June 1, 2009

Fellowship of the Recovered Ring

So it was back out to the ranch this weekend for a search and rescue mission. We headed out early Saturday morning with Heather's Co worker Joe and our friends Joe and Jen. We stopped on the way and picked up Joe's friend Mike. Joe and Mike go hunting for "treasure" as a hobby and are actually what you would call, professionals. They were armed with four metal detectors. Two of which were $900 each. I went out with low expectations since last week I searched the area with a $100 detector from Academy and only found a rock and two shreds of a beer can. I didn't want to get my hopes up. I was sure that within a weeks time it would have either washed away or an animal would have seen it shimmering in the sun and decided to eat it. I was certain that we would be out there all day digging in the mud until sundown. So, we got out there at about 10am and headed to the pit. It was still muddy there, but way less then last week. We arrived at the sight of the great mud battle with Heather, Jen, Mike and Joe in the Mule and my friend Joe and I on ATVs. As the rest of us are getting out to start the hunt, my friend Joe decided to ride around and promptly gets stuck in a ravine. So I head over to pull him out with the other ATV. I get over there and start tying the rope to both ATVs. Before I get both of them secured I start to hear yelling. Joe found the ring in under five minutes. He found it close in, under about six inches of water. I was extremely impressed, but at the same time, kind of felt bad that it wasn't more of a challenge for them. Although, when we first arrived at the field, Joe told Heather that it was a larger area than he expected and that he was sure that they wouldn't find it. It took more time getting people out of the mud than to find the ring. Right after getting my friend Joe unstuck we headed back to the group to see the ring. We decided to head back and do some sight seeing so Heather takes off in the Mule and pulls right into a humongous puddle lodging it firmly into the mud hole. It took all four men to push it back out of the hole, only to land it in another one. Once we finally got the Mule out, by pulling it with the ATV, my friend Joe jumps on his ATV to find that the battery had died. Despite all the setbacks, it was still a fun weekend, and I have my ring.

There is an update on the list of cravings. Heather stopped on the way to work last week and had to get some powdered donuts. It's been a long while since we have had powdered donuts. I spotted the bag under her desk when I met her for lunch. Her nausea is getting better. She has started taking her vitamin at night after dinner and that seems to help. Heather is starting to have less and less clothes to wear. Luckily our sister in law, Audrey, donated a bunch of her maternity clothes. Heather is still planning on going on a shopping trip with her mom though to supplement her clothing needs.

Less than a week away from the first sonogram.



1 comment:

  1. Hah! I knew the mini-doughnuts would make an appearance :)
    Glad you found your ring!

    ReplyDelete