Thursday, September 24, 2009

Baby 101



This month we have been going to Lamaze classes at the hospital on Tuesday nights. The class is from 7-9:30. I know what you are thinking, two and a half hours is a long time, and you're right. It hasn't been that bad though. The first night was a little crazy towards the end. We had to massage our partners belly while we visualized being in the womb with our baby, and think of what we would say to our baby. A little new age hippy for our taste. We have been learning a lot about what to prepare for and what to expect when the stuff hits the fan. This process is so much more complicated than I imagined. I have no idea how babies were born hundreds of years ago. I guess the survival rate of the baby and the mother is much higher now, so I am fine with the complexity. We did watch the dreaded birthing video. I made it through. Fortunately, there weren't too many gratuitous close ups.

It has been interesting watching the other couples in our class. It is like we are back in school again. We certainly have our share of teacher's pets. There is a really young couple who are maybe out of high school, maybe, as well as a couple that has been married for 18 years and are having their first child. The instructor is good at keeping the class informative and entertaining. I really feel like we have gone through a college course, and we have two other courses to go: Baby Care Basics and Breastfeeding. I'm not sure how much I'll get out of that last one. We will certainly have knowledge on our side. Let's just see what happens when it comes time for practical application.

No comments:

Post a Comment